[Jakarta] monViet: Unexpectedly Delicious

11:16:00 PM

Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta

Somehow, I don't even know why, I was always reluctant to try Vietnamese food. I would have this mindset that Vietnamese food will not suit my tastebud. Hell, I was so wrong and so thankful that I tried to eat Vietnamese food for the first time here in monViet. I actually passed by this restaurant for quite a lot of time during my stay in Jakarta and only until recently that I decided to eat here.

monViet, of which I visited in Pondok Indah Mall, is a restaurant franchise developed by a Vietnamese guy called Hai with his mother's family recipe in his hand. His intention to introduce this delicacy to people outside Vietnam finally gave birth to this authentic Vietnamese restaurant. I would say I am very happy if this is the real taste of Vietnam cuisine since I haven't been to Vietnam to taste the real deal.

Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta
Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta

Entering the restaurant, it was as if I was transported to Hoi An, Vietnam. Well, I haven't been there, but I have seen quite a lot of pictures on the web that I am obnoxiously sure that they are trying to represent that image (lol). Well, you could see why they are representing Hoi An from the bright yellow colored walls that are meant to replicate the houses' facade from the ancient town. Moreover, the lanterns hanging around the restaurants surely give away the vibe of Hoi An. They also know how to make the details, like the furniture and dinnerware, to enhance the feels of being in of the most visited towns in Vietnam.

Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta
Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta

In monViet, the most memorable thing surely was not the interior design, but the food. I ordered the Pho Dac Biet which is translated as "Special Pho". Fyi, pho is one of the most well-known dishes from Vietnam that consists of rice noodle, variety of meats, and served with rich broth that is usually cooked with bones, herbs, and spices. monViet serves their pho dishes primarily with sliced beef, meatball, and brisket, but since I am not a fan of eating brisket, I asked for more meatballs and sliced beef for the substitute.

Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta
Pho Dac Biet (IDR 87K)
The dish was served with a plate of Thai basil leaves and a big slice of lime. Before putting the whole side dish into the bowl of noodle, I tried the dish as it was. My experience of the first spoonful of the rice noodle, a sliced beef, and broth, turned out to be love at the first mouthful of it. Rich, flavorful, savory, and somehow fresh! I was astonished and at the same time regretted why I never tried this delicacy earlier. Pho could be one of my favorite food and my unreasonable negative thought of Vietnamese food directly vanished by tasting this well-made noodle dish.

Next, I tried to put the side dish of Thai basil leaves and squeeze the lime juice to see what will happen, only to find that it gave a better, greater rich taste to the dish! It would not be for everyone though, especially for the Thai basil leaves. For me, I really loved how the herbs added an extra texture and a small kick of spiciness to the dish. And for the lime, it added the freshness that I liked from pho. I couldn't help myself to leave the broth unfinished. So this pho was ended as an empty bowl! That was how delicious it was to me and moreover, the aftertaste didn't irritate my throat like some other soup noodle dishes.

Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta
Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta
Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta

I didn't have the chance to tried the restaurant's specialty: Bun Bo Hue, which is said to be quite spicy. But I am glad that I tried their Banh Mi, the well-known Vietnamese sandwich. It is surely influenced by the French people since the base bread they usually use is baguette. I ordered Banh Mi Thit Cha, a baguette overfilled with shredded spiced chicken, ham, chicken liver pate, as well as herbs and vegetable garnishes. For this dish, we could opt to have the banh mi to be sliced into max four pieces for a more effortless experience eating it.

Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta
Banh Mi Thit Cha (IDR 66K)
Again, this was totally an unexpected experience. Another love at first bite. The banh mi has many levels and textures of amazing taste. Starting from the very crunchy baguette crust yet very soft and fluffy inside. The fillings blended as a whole extremely tasty experience! The garnishes and spices really gave the whole dish a punch of freshness to the dish and complemented the meats inside. If you take a good look at the picture, you could also find some small slices of spicy chilli. It is surely very spicy when you got to have a direct bite, but all I could say that the chili slices were also an unexpectedly good experience. I could really eat this kind of food every day! It really makes sense why this dish is very popular among the travelers in Vietnam.

Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta

My first experience of tasting Vietnamese delicacy surely is a good one. Thankfully, I could experience it here at monViet. This could be my regular spot whenever I am craving for some freshness and tanginess of Banh Mi and Pho! For those wanting to experience what they said at authentic Vietnamese food, this is the place to go.

Flavorful Escape - monViet Jakarta

MONVIET
Pondok Indah Mall 1, 1st Floor
Jl. Metro Pondok Indah, Pondok Indah, Jakarta
+6221 750 6878

You Might Also Like

0 comments